Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Home Alone


So. I have absolutely no idea what to do.

I am alone in the house. The dog isn’t even here. The only other thing in the house with a heartbeat is the fish.

Here lies before me a million possibilities…

·        I can clean the house and have it stay that way for a few hours.
·        I can read!!!! (Can you imagine??? In silence!)
·        I can bake those Nutella brownies that I just saw on Pinterest.
·        I can eat them.
·        I can eat them ALL and when everybody gets home I can pretend I never made them!
·        I can go for a walk.
·        I can go for a run!
·        I can just work out at home.
·        I can fold this basket of laundry from yesterday that’s sitting next to me.
·        I can watch a movie. The whole thing!
·        I can polish my toenails.
·        I could clean out the storage area in the basement.
·        I could rake leaves.
·        I could sit down and study the message that was just presented to us at church this morning.
·        I could put on a HAZMAT suit and clean my son’s room.
·        I could go to Target all by myself.
·        I could even go and finish that sewing project that’s impatiently waiting for me that needs to be completed in the next two days.

Seriously! Look at all of this! These are the things we moms dream about when we’re knee-deep in mothering. “If I had a day all to myself I’d ___________.” But when it’s laid out before me it’s almost like I get stage fright. “Well, if I do (a) then I wouldn’t have time for (b.)” And I’d really like to do everything on this list but I’d like to get it all done in an hour so that I can have time to do what I really want to do and that’s just sit on the sofa and stare at the wall because it’s so quiet and I forgot what that sounds like.

Also, when you’re home alone and not at all used to it, why does your house make so many creepy noises?
                                                


 It’s not even noon yet and all of a sudden I’m pretty sure there’s a homicidal clown in my basement.

I hope he likes Nutella brownies.

So, I guess I haven’t resolved a single thing here today. But I have concluded that I have no idea how to entertain myself. I miss my chaos makers. Apparently, I like a   loud, busy house. I think that’s okay. Later today, when everyone returns home and it’s all back to normal and it’s loud and everyone needs me at the same time, I’m going to remind myself how much I missed the noise. And I’m going to say a prayer of gratitude that I’m right where I’m supposed to be.

Now, to plan my escape in case that clown comes upstairs…

1 comment:

julie s said...

That's so true about the noises!